We all share a common goal: to provide a comfortable, considerate environment for our aging loved ones. But according to the AARP, 4 out of 10 family caregivers are not prepared to take on the role when the time comes.
The AARP also recently reported that, of caregivers in the U.S.:
- 19% provide unpaid care to an adult with health or functional needs
- 61% also have jobs outside of caregiving
- 24% care for more than one person
- 55% of caregivers for those with dementia have delayed their own health care due to caregiving (compared to 38% of other caregivers)
- 32% of registered voters have been caregivers in the past, 21% are currently caregivers and 49% expect to be caregivers in the future
Caregiving is complicated. It promises challenging conversations and sometimes difficult decisions, whether mapping out your own next steps in life or those of another. On the following pages, you'll find local resources to help you navigate the waters of providing for your loved ones at any stage.