The time has finally come. The fully redesigned Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts has officially announced plans for celebrations and festivities surrounding its grand opening next month.
Kicking off a week-long event lineup, AMFA will open its doors for the first time on Saturday, April 22, beginning with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. Afterward, attendees will be able to explore the museum's stunning new grounds, including spaces like the Performing Arts Theater and Windgate Art School, and of course the permanent collection display, site installations and temporary exhibits. Tickets to the grand opening celebration are free, but registration is required.
Following the ceremony, the community is invited to a celebration in MacArthur Park, complete with food, music and live performances from noon - 8 p.m.
Here's what's on the schedule the following week:
- April 23, Design and Construction Appreciation Day - honoring those who contributed to the construction of the new building (invitations sent in advance)
- April 24, School Day at the Museum - local students will engage in puppet-making, view a scene of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show" and take an art walk through the galleries (reservations open in May)
- April 29-30, Member Weekend - AMFA members are eligible to reserve tickets for this special event, including family-focused programming on Saturday (spaces are limited)
- April 29, A Toast Together - Circle Society donors and annual supporters are eligible to reserve tickets for this special event (spaces are limited)
Anyone who becomes a member or joins at a Circle Society level before the grand opening date will be eligible to reserve tickets for respective special events.
Following the week of festivities, AMFA will open to the public on Tuesday, May 2, for regular operating hours of 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and noon - 5 p.m. Sunday.
To learn more, visit the museum’s website and follow along on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates.
Before the big day, catch up on the latest news from AMFA:
- AMFA Announces Inaugural Programs, Artist Talks and Art Classes
- AMFA Announces Partnerships With Ballet Arkansas and Arkansas Cinema Society
- A Finer Point: Victoria Ramirez & the AMFA Dream Team
- AMFA Announces Community Art Installation to Celebrate Reopening
View this post on Instagram