Mark Abernathy, executive chef and owner of Loca Luna and Red Door, shares a sweet and simple dessert recipe made from pantry staples that fits any time of year.
PEACH BLUEBERRY CRISP
"This dish is great every season," Abernathy says. "Strawberries and blueberries in the spring; peaches, blackberries, plums and cherries in the summer; apples and pears in the winter — you can mix and match."
• 5 cups fresh or frozen peaches
• 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (must be frozen when mixed)
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar
• zest and juice of one lemon
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
• 2 tps. cornstarch (mix in a slurry made with a little of the peach juice)
• 1 box Duncan Hines Yellow Butter Cake Mix
• 1/4 cup oats
• 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
• Preheat oven to 350º F.
• Coat a 9 x 13” pan or glass casserole dish with non-stick spray.
• Mix together filling ingredients in a large bowl and pour evenly into the dish.
• Mix topping ingredients in another bowl and sprinkle evenly over the top of the filling.
• Place thin pats of salted butter (about 1 1/4 stick) evenly over the top of the topping mix.
• Place a sheet pan underneath the dish to catch baking overflow, then bake for 50-60 minutes, until topping starts to brown.
• Cool completely before reheating and serving. Serve with whipped or ice cream.