Turning on the oven is at the top of our list of the last things we want to do right now.
Summer heat calls for summer recipes, and this dish from local food truck Count Porkula is exactly what we need. Enjoy to your cool heart's content, folks.
Count Porkula Homemade Slaw
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 1/2 oz. celery flake
- 1/2 cup “The Rub” by Count Porkula (or any dry rub you prefer)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of mayo
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
PSA: You can bring home Count Porkula's “The Rub” from Stratton’s Market, Eggshells Kitchen Co., Heights Corner Market, Me and McGee Market or the food truck's website.
1. In a small stainless or glass bowl, mix the celery flake, “The Rub” and sugar into mayonnaise until you have a thick batter-like substance.
2. Whisk in the apple cider vinegar a little bit at a time to thin the batter. (This will be used to coat the cabbage.)
3. With tongs or large forks, toss the cabbage in the mixture until it has been evenly distributed.
4. Chill for one hour and serve as a side or a topping for any pulled pork sandwich.
Chef tip: This is a three-part cabbage configuration. Quantities may vary depending on the taste and color you prefer. For example, some may use all purple cabbage and carrots for a different look.
Can't wait to give it a try? Catch Count Porkula at the opening of newly renovated The Highland Midtown on Wednesday, July 18, from 5:30-7 p.m. For more info, click here.