On May 20, dozens of cyclists will take to the streets for the Arvest Little Rock Gran Fondo. The ride offers approximately 70 miles of premium Arkansas courses and scenery, complete with food stops along the way.
But the good eats aren't just for riders. The Gran Fondo block party kicks off at 11 a.m. in the HIA Velo parking lot, complete with food and drinks from Lost Forty, live music from Bonnie Montgomery, door prizes and more.
To help prep your taste buds, Lost Forty's Scott McGehee shared a special side dish recipe that will make an appearance at the afterparty. Bon appétit!
Scott McGehee’s Cabbage, Green Tomato, Duke's Mayo & Jalapeño Slaw
- 1 1/2 cups spring onions, thinly sliced (green tops and white bulb, or sub white onions and scallions)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup Duke's Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Tabasco
- 1 tbsp. +1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tbsp. black pepper (freshly ground, if available)
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups green cabbage, very thinly shaved (about half a medium-size head)
- 1 cup pickled green tomatoes, strained (chop if too chunky)
- 1 cup celery, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño, shaved (about half a medium jalapeño, based on preference)
- more shaved jalapeño
- cracked pepper
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of chopped parsley
In a large stainless steel bowl, combine spring onions and lemon juice. Toss the onion in the lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes to remove gassiness.
Add to the bowl mayo, Tabasco, salt, honey, water, pepper, parsley and oil, and whisk together.
Then add cabbage, green tomatoes, celery and jalapeño.
Garnish with more jalapeño, cracked pepper, paprika and chopped parsley.