National Pie Day: 5 Places (And Pie) To Try in Central Arkansas
We love pie! Who doesn't?
In honor of National Pie Day today (Jan. 23), we're highlighting a few places to get a delicious slice of pie in and around central Arkansas with the help of Kat Robinson's book "Arkansas Pie: A Delicious Slice of the Natural State."
Here are five places (and pies) to check out:
- Three Sam's Barbeque Joint, 10508 Mann Road, Mabelvale-- Recommended Pie: Peanut butter pie. After feasting on one of the mouth-watering barbeque sandwiches, don't forget about this super peanut-buttery pie that is topped with peanuts and chunks of peanut butter cups. Robinson said the mousse-style filling was dense and a little salty, in addition to being sweet.
- Bobby's Country Cookin', 301 N. Shackleford Road, Little Rock-- There are so many made-from-scratch pies to choose from, where do you start? Coconut and chocolate pie, as well as pecan pie and cherry cream cheese pie are restaurant staples that are always on the menu. And don't forget about the others in rotation-- key lime, vanilla chocolate chip, lemon ice box, mint chocolate chip, peanut butter or strawberry.
- Charlotte's Eats & Sweets, 290 Main Street, U.S. 165, Keo-- Recommended Pie: Coconut meringue. You might have to travel a little far for this one, but it's worth it! This renowned sit-down restaurant is nationally known for its pie, especially its coconut meringue.
- Lindsay's Hospitality House, 207 Curtis Sykes Drive, North Little Rock-- Recommended Pie: Sweet potato pie. As Robinson says, the best barbeque places serve up delicious pie, and Lindsay's Hospitality House is no exception. The sweet potato pie-- a strong-flavored pie with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice-- is a must at the eatery.
- Ed and Kay's Restaurant, 15228 I-30, Benton: Known as the "Mile-High Pie Shop," this spot serves up a delicious coconut and chocolate meringue pie, along with Robinson's favorite, the PCP-- made up of pineapple, coconut and pecan.
Here are a few other options to get a yummy slice of pie in the area:
Sim's Bar-B-Que (Little Rock)
The Wagon Wheel Restaurant (Greenbrier)
Hunka Pie (Little Rock)
E's Bistro (North Little Rock)
What are your favorite places? Tell us in the comment box below!