In preparation for this weekend's Soup Sunday, Executive Chef and Owner Capi Peck of Trio's shared a delicious Thai soup perfect for winter nights. Peck will be the featured chef of the 37th annual Soup Sunday event.
Soup Sunday, the annual fundraising event for Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, will be held at the Statehouse Convention Center in downtown Little Rock on Sunday, Jan. 28, from 4-7 p.m. To learn more about the event, read our feature on this year's event chair Dr. Aaron Strong.
Now, back to the soup...
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- 4 cans coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 kaffir limes leaves, torn
- 1 stalk very finely minced lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red or yellow curry paste OR 2 small Thai chili peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound baby shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- cilantro leaves for garnish
In a heavy stockpot, combine coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, ginger root, fish sauce, brown sugar, curry paste or Thai chili peppers, lime zest and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken into thin strips. (This will be much easier to do if the chicken is partially frozen.)
Add the chicken and mushrooms to the soup. Simmer until the chicken is —cooked through — about 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
Serve over steamed rice and garnish with a cilantro leaf.