Craig Roe is the owner and chef of Baja Grill, a staple for nacho lovers in The Heights. Creating his own unique league of "Mexicali" dishes, Chef Roe builds his menu with "a strong emphasis on freshness of ingredients."
Our sister publication, FIT Arkansas, challenged three local chefs to create dishes that utilize produce found in our local farmers markets, and Chef Roe came to the table with this incredible recipe.
Citrus Grilled Chicken with Peach Pico and Baja Rice
- 1 cup cilantro, plucked and lightly packed
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
For the peach pico:
- 4 fresh peaches, pitted and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into small rounds
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced and loosely packed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (adjust if needed)
Add all ingredients except chicken to a blender or food processor and blend for at least 30 seconds.
Place chicken breasts in large Ziploc bag and pour marinade over chicken. Let chicken marinate for at least six hours (overnight preferred for best flavor). Large chicken breasts can be filleted into two if desired.
Grill chicken on an outdoor grill or inside on a grill pan. Grill approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Do not overcook.
For the pico, add ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together. Let meld for about an hour before use. Adjust salt and pepper as desired.