It's time to brush off your painting skills and head to Barry Thomas Art & Studio for a beginner/intermediate painting workshop. The four-day class taught by Thomas himself will take place Feb. 20-23 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. The lessons will help you flex your creative muscles and dive into the world of watercolor, acrylics, oils and pastels.
Some of the skills Thomas will teach include proper brush strokes and techniques, palate layout, color theory, shading and more. The workshop is meant for both intermediates and true beginners who might be intimidated by a blank canvas and need help to begin. The lessons include instruction by Thomas, Q&A opportunities and an art notebook.
Beginner artists will need to purchase some supplies for the workshop, which Thomas has recommended getting from Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Amazon. The items include:
- long-handled brushes (flat, filberts and round)
- jars (plastic and metal only; no glass)
- Gamblin and Gamsol* (odorless mineral oil) *no subsitutions
- a folding chair
- paper towels
- single-edge razorblade
- glass scraper
- glass palate (16x20 or larger)
- palate knife
- small trash bags
- board or canvas
- paint colors: Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Ivory, Black, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine Purple, Phthalo Blue, French Ultra Marine Blue, Sap Green and Viridian Green
The workshop will take place at Thomas' studio in Argenta located at 711 Main St., North Little Rock. The workshop costs $450, not including the price of the items needed for the classes. There are only 12 spots open in the workshop. To purchase a spot, call (501) 349-2383 or email BarryThomasArtAndGallery@Gmail.com.
For more about Thomas and his Argenta studio, check out our previous story about the local artist here.