Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Why do we celebrate the day Mexico defeated France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862? Two reasons: It’s France. But most importantly because of fajitas, cheese dip, beer, margaritas and more margaritas. Technically those are four reasons and the list could easily go on. To celebrate, we will likely be at one of these six places tonight. (I’ll be the one with the antacid on the table.) Enjoy!
1. Cantina Laredo, 207 N. University Ave., Suite 130, Little Rock: Get ready to party! Starting at 4 p.m., the upscale Mexican joint located in the Midtowne Shopping Center is offering $3 Dos XX Lager drafts and $5 Cinco ‘Ritas. The Cinco ‘Rita is Cantina’s latest speciality margarita described as a smooth mix of silver versions of Cabo Wabo, Hornitos, Casa Noble, Herradura, Giro and Cointreau, orange liqueur, lime juice and agave nectar. Check out their Facebook page for more.
2. Heights Taco & Tamale Co., 5805 Kavanaugh Blvd, Little Rock: This brand new Heights restaurant offers authentic Mexican and Spanish dishes with Southern flair. Today, order up a $2.50 Mezcal Copita! This shot of Del Maguey La Vida Mezcal ia served in a traditional hand-made Mezcal sipping cup or ‘copita’. After a few of those, you will want to order the house-made tamales and churros because yum. For more info on specials, visit their Facebook page here.
3. Local Lime, 17815 Chenal Pkwy., Little Rock: This hoppin' taco and margarita bar, located at The Promenade at Chenal shopping center, will be a prime spot for Cinco de Mayo. Grab one of their house margaritas (my personal favorite in town) for $5 (all day). Munch on chips and salsa and feast on some of their amazing tacos. Be sure to check their Facebook page for more.
4. Chuy's, 16001 Chenal Pkwy., Little Rock: Cinco de Mayo at Chuy's means happy hour all-day long (not just 4-7 p.m.!) on Tuesday (May 5). Take advantage of the fully loaded nacho car where you can build your very own nachos (cheese dip, chips, toppings and more) all for free. Also sip on $4.50 house margaritas, $6.75 house Texas Martinis and $3 domestic beers and $3 Coronas from open at 11 a.m. to closing at 10 p.m. Call (501) 821-2489 for more information.
5. Baja Grill, 5923 Kavanaugh Blvd., Little Rock: Offering up some of the best guacamole in town, this Heights eatery will continue with its typical happy hour from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow. Drink specials include $4 house margaritas, $1 off all beer and $1 off tacos because it's Taco Tuesday. The Cuban Taco is one of my absolute favorites! For more info, click here or call (501) 722-8920.
6. Casa Mañana, 6820 Cantrell Road, Little Rock: This Mexican spot is the place to be if you're looking for an authentic dinner. Start off with the most delicious chips and salsa while sipping on a ice-cold brew (beer is served in icy mugs) or yummy margarita. And make sure you get a spot on the restaurant's fantastic deck out back! Call (501) 280-9888 closer to time for food and drink specials.